Ultrafast broadband: what is it and why is it important?
There are two major technologies for Ultrafast: Gfast and Fibre-to the-premise (FTTP)
Gfast lets us get amazingly high speeds from the same copper pipe that was originally used for voice calls. To put it in perspective, in terms of speed, voice uses about 64kbits, while Gfast offers 330Mbps. With those speeds you could have a 4K TV running in every room of your house simultaneously.
FTTP is an optical fibre that goes all the way from the exchange into your home or business. It offers speeds of up to 1Gbps. It's sometimes referred to as ‘Full Fibre' because the fibre runs from the telephone exchange all the way to the interior of the property.
Why use two technologies?
Because they complement each other very well. There are some locations where FTTP is the obvious choice, like new-build houses, flats and rural locations, whereas Gfast lets you get a quick footprint of Ultrafast, as it lets us reuse the copper.
What can people do with Ultrafast broadband?
Everything we can dream of now and more besides. For example you could pick a film just before leaving the house, hit download, and it would be ready to watch on your phone or tablet almost immediately.
- Video on demand – Stream ultra-high definition or 4K TV, or catch-up services instantly
- Virtual storage – Store photos, documents, music and videos online – in the cloud
- HD video calling – Chat with colleagues, friends and family around the world
- Gaming – Enjoy and share the latest live immersive experiences
- Working from home – Work as effectively as you would in the office
- Expand your business – Have a competitive advantage in connecting, serving, collaborating and competing online.
Use our fibre checker to see if you're in an FTTP area. If you are, you'll need to contact a communications provider – some of whom are now offering Ultrafast broadband – to upgrade as it won't happen automatically.
If you're not in a rollout area for FTTP, we can help with a Community Fibre Partnership. And if you own a small or medium sized business, grants of up to £3,000 are available toward the cost of getting full fibre with us from the Government.
Our FTTP network uses the latest technology and is already the UK's largest.